So what is it that you should know about Minnesota?
1. If there is only one name you should know on Minnesota’s team, it’s third team All-Big Ten selection Trevor Mbakwe. Mbakwe is a massive load on the interior, standing at 6’8″ and 245 pounds. He puts his size to good use, averaging 10.0 points, 8.7 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in just 24.9 minutes of action.
2. Minnesota stumbled into the NCAA Tournament, having lost 11 of their past 16 games. With that being said, they own victories over No. 3 Indiana, No. 8 Michigan State, No. 10 Ohio State, No. 20 Memphis and No. 22 Wisconsin.
3. I previously said that Trevor Mbakwe was the one worth knowing if there was only one name to learn. Fortunately, you have the opportunity to know the starting five—Andre Hollins, Austin Hollins, Rodney Williams, Joe Coleman and Mbakwe. These five players account for 78.7 percent of the team’s total scoring.
4. Andre and Austin Hollins are not related. What they are, however, is one heck of a backcourt tandem that accounts for 24.5 points, 6.8 rebounds, 5.9 assists and 2.8 steals per game. Austin, for the record, is the son of Memphis Grizzlies head coach Lionel Hollins.
5. Seven of Minnesota’s 12 losses have come by single-digits. 14 of their 20 wins have come by double-digits.