We knew Hagins, the CAA defensive player of the year, could defend at a very high level, but his offense is what opened my eyes most in dropping a really easy 29 points on Wednesday.
He was silenced yesterday in part by some decent work from Villanova’s Mouphtaou Yarou, but overall I thought he was the all-around big best big I saw this week.
Detroit’s Nick Minnerath wowed the crowd with a serious of highlight dunks, especially on Thursday night, displaying eye-opening athleticism plus the ability, at 6’8, to stretch the floor. I’m not sure he’s physically capable of defending one position at the NBA level, let alone the two or three that NBA executives are looking for at the 3/4. I was shocked by how quickly the gas runs out of his motor.
Another interesting name that fans may remember is BYU’s Brandon Davies. You may recall, Davies was controversially suspended last year for breaking school rules. Davies was very impressive on both ends this week after a really rock-solid post-Jimmer senior season in Provo.
Top to bottom, frankly, there wasn’t the NBA talent here this week that there has been in years past.
That said, there always seems to be a few diamonds in the rough.
Tommy’s Top 12 from the PIT
- Tyler Brown, 6’4, 185, Guard, Illinois State
- Rodney McGruder, 6’4, 215, Guard, Kansas State
- Khalif Wyatt, 6’4, 215, Guard, Temple
- Jamelle Hagins, 6’9, 235, Forward, Delaware
- Ramon Galloway, 6’3, 180, Guard, LaSalle
- Devin Booker, 6’8, Power Forward, Clemson
- Brandon Davies, 6’8, Forward, BYU
- Carl Hall 6’8, Forward, Wichita State
- Nick Minnerath, 6’8, Forward, Detroit
- Durand Scott, 6’5, 200, Guard, Miami
- Dexter Strickland, 6’3, 185, Guard, UNC
- Jack Cooley, 6’9, 245, Power Forward, Notre Dame
MORE NBA DRAFT COVERAGE
Mock Draft 1.0.1
Draft Risers and Fallers from 2013 NCAA Tournament
TOP SCORERS IN THE NCAA; A CLOSER LOOK
Top 20 Picks: Pre-March Madness
Top 2013 Draft Prospects: Centers
Top 2013 Draft Prospects: Power Forwards
Top 2013 Draft Prospects: Small Forwards
Top 2013 Draft Prospects: Point Guards
Top 2013 Draft Prospects: Shooting Guards