Scotto: Knicks’ Season, Futures of Melo, Woodson On the Line — UPDATED

knicksNEW YORK — For Knicks superstar Carmelo Anthony, making the playoffs is all that matters.

The same can be said for coach Mike Woodson.

However, after a heartbreaking one-point loss to the Washington Wizards on Friday night, the Knicks find themselves one game behind the Atlanta Hawks for the final playoff spot — and two games behind in the loss column — with only five remaining games.

Anthony’s desire to reach the postseason is understandable. Since entering the NBA as part of the heralded draft class of 2003, he has never missed the playoffs. Not even the Big Three in Miami can say that.

If Anthony reaches the postseason again, he’ll have to do it with a strained right shoulder that “gave out” against the Wizards.

“Throughout the course of the game there was no strength on the passes, causing turnovers and things like that,” Anthony said. “But hopefully I’ll be alright.”

NYK_Woodson_MikeFor Woodson, however, making the playoffs means much more. His job is on the line.

“No playoffs, no Woody,” one league source told SheridanHoops.

“Without question he’s fired (if they miss the playoffs),” one Eastern Conference scout also told SheridanHoops.

The final play against the Wizards is the type of scenario that has Woodson under fire.

Woodson called the last play for Anthony, despite clearly favoring his injured shoulder while struggling from the field (5-14) to go along with nine turnovers. Marcin Gortat immediately fouled Anthony with Washington’s first foul to give in the last two minutes.

Immediately after the foul, the Knicks ran the exact same play. Anthony lost possession of the ball only to be regained by J.R. Smith for a desperation 3-pointer.

Raymond Felton was asked what happened on the final play and his response was an alarming admission regarding Woodson’s lack of preparation.

“Well, it’s tough when a team has a foul to give,” said Felton. “You draw a play up and then you have no more timeouts. You don’t have time to really set anything else up so you just try to run the same play over again.”

If you’re Woodson, you have to realize the Wizards could  use the foul to give. Therefore, Woodson should have had the foresight to have a second play drawn up for that likely scenario knowing he already used his final timeout. Not having another play in that situation is simply inexcusable.

With that in mind, the idea of Anthony and Woodson leading the Knicks into the playoffs seemed absurd a month ago. They were a season-high 19 games under .500 at 21-40 on March 3, riding a seven-game losing streak and eight games behind the Atlanta Hawks in the loss column.

Carmelo Anthony postgame “I think if we continue playing the way we’ve been playing, we’ll be there at the end of the season,” Anthony said after Wednesday’s win over Brooklyn.

The Knicks have been an epic disappointment for the vast majority of the season and have woefully failed to meet championship expectations from owner James Dolan. Despite all the injuries, locker room turmoil, off-the-court legal troubles and constant speculation surrounding the futures of Anthony and Woodson, the Knicks remarkably still have five games to save the season from being a complete abomination.

“Despite this emotional season, this up and down season, I think it’d be a big deal for us to get in that spot and get in the playoffs and that’s our goal,” Anthony said Wednesday. “We’re fighting for that right now.”

Meanwhile, Woodson is fighting to save his job and rejuvenate faith in a new front office merely one season removed from guiding the Knicks to 54 wins. No Knicks coach has won as many regular season games since Jeff Van Gundy guided the team to 57 wins during the 1996-97 season.

Phil JacksonSince Phil Jackson officially came aboard, there has been rampant speculation that Steve Kerr and other disciples of the triangle offense will be considered to coach the Knicks after this season, despite the recent hot streak.

Jackson himself fueled that speculation at his introductory news conference when he mentioned several times that making the playoffs was a realistic short-term goal.

All five of New York’s remaining games – three on the road, two at home – are against Eastern Conference teams who have clinched playoff berths but are still jockeying for position. There are no gimmes.

And if the Knicks miss the playoffs, one East executive expects changes to both the roster and bench in New York.

“Phil has to put his prints on that team,” the executive told SheridanHoops.

Those prints include re-signing Anthony this offseason. Making the playoffs may be enough to keep Anthony in New York for the remaining prime of his career. But even if they reach the postseason, the Knicks are virtually relegated to a matchup with Miami or Indiana, and a first-round exit could seal Woodson’s fate.

“It might help for Melo because I know he wants to stay, but he needs to see a plan,” a league source told SheridanHoops.

That plan has not been outlined for Anthony yet, said Jackson, who addressed the media at the team’s practice facility Thursday.

“We’ve had a couple of occasions to talk,” Jackson said. “We haven’t really delved into the future as much as what’s gone on, getting to know each other type of thing.”

Amare StoudemireOne reason for New York’s turnaround has been the rejuvenation of Amar’e Stoudemire, who averaged 16.9 points and 6.6 rebounds in March. Most importantly, Stoudemire has given the Knicks consistent production at an exponentially higher rate than at any other time this season.

“(Stoudemire) has been unbelievable in this stretch,” Woodson said Wednesday. “Ever since we stuck him in the lineup, his minutes have grown to 30 minutes and it’s helped us tremendously.”

As a result, Stoudemire posted his highest PER of the season in March (22.66). It’s also no coincidence that Stoudemire’s PER is comparatively similar as a starter (22.29) in 16 games with consistent playing time.

By further comparison, Stoudemire’s PER is significantly lower when the Knicks lose (16.97) than when the team wins (21.55) over the entire course of the season.

Woodson is pulling out all the stops to save his job. Smith, the reigning Sixth Man Award winner, is now starting. Benchwarming big Cole Aldrich has been playing. But it may not be enough.

The Hawks (33-42) have two games in hand and a much easier schedule. Atlanta still has home games vs. Detroit and Boston and a road game vs. Milwaukee in its season finale.

“Our backs are against the wall right now,” said Anthony. “We control our own destiny.”

Not really.

Rather, their fate controls their future.

Michael Scotto is a Sheridan Hoops NBA columnist. You can follow him on Twitter.

Share the Love
Breaking News

Comments

I like the helpful info you provide on your articles.
    I’ll bookmark your blog and test once more right here frequently.
    I’m fairly certain I’ll be informed many new stuff right
    right here! Good luck for the following!

Once you press the “Home” button, you will be prompted to use the fingerprint sensor in order to view anything on your phone.
    There are reliable and trustworthy websites that are well expertise
    in offering the unlocking procedures which are efficient and easy to use.
    Instead, you can simply switch the SIM card in the phone and use the
    local GSM services, just like the way you have been using on any previous unlocked phone.

My web blog jurassic park builder cheats iphone ipad hacks download v1.4

First off I want to say awesome blog! I had a quick question that I’d
    like to ask if you do not mind. I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear
    your thoughts prior to writing. I’ve had a hard time clearing my mind in getting my thoughts out.

I do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like the first 10
    to 15 minutes are wasted just trying to figure out
    how to begin. Any suggestions or tips? Appreciate it!

Visit my page – Simpsons Tapped Out Cheats (youtube.com)

Spot on with this write-up, I really think this web site needs a lot more attention. I’ll probably
    be back again to see more, thanks for the information!

Game notebook existence and selling on this
    market is very large groups, many people may be at
    home is not enough space, or environmental
    constraints had to use a notebook to replace the desktop.

Players learn to move around defenders and protect the ball in close engagement scenarios.
    Click here to see a video slideshow of the cases included in this article plus a fun accessory that you don’t want to miss.

Here is my blog post: defender 2 hack ios

I’m not that much of a internet reader to bbe honest but your sites really nice, keep it up!

I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site too come back in the future.
    Alll the best

Here is my blog – orquestas canarias, Rosalyn,

Hello just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading properly.
    I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried
    it in two different web browsers and both show
    the same outcome.

First off I wouuld like to say fantastic blog! I had a
    quick question in whichh I’d like too ask iif you don’t mind.
    I was curious to find out how you center yourseelf and
    clkear your heaad prio to writing. I’ve had a tough time clearing my
    thoughts in getting my thoughts out there. I do enjoy wriing but it just seems like the first 10
    to 15 minutes tend to be lost just trying to
    figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or tips? Appreciate it!

Pojdte se vyráԀit na naše erotické hrištе plné sexu.

Existuje spousxta důvodů, proč používat seznamky pro domluvení dobrodružství.

Nekterí lidépotrebují zažít erotické nevery, aby
    ѕi zacali víϲе vážіt vlastníҺo stálého partnera.

naսrally like yօur web-site however you have to check the spelling on quite а few of your posts.
    Many off them aare rife wth spelling issues and I find it very bothersome to tell tɦe truth then again I’ll definitely
    cοme back again.

Feel free to surf tto my website :: deep quotes

This restricts the kind and type of TV shows that networks
    like FOX, CNN, CBS, NBC and ABC can broadcast.
    Lay betting systems (taking bets), playing the role of bookmaker – what does this mean. They can be traced to the famed evangelists of the later 1800â€
    ™s who were widely at work and widely known at the time Bill Wilson and Dr.
    The group before us was still riding as we lined up, and the train passed through it
    several times on their 6 lap cycle before we were able to board.
    These genres have allowed developers to show their real skills and have
    also helped them to generate handsome revenues. The final missing link was located right there
    in my first talk with Dr. Text looks distinct and luminous, and Pages twist with a imping.

Also visit my webpage; real racing Cheats ipad

What i don’t understood is actually how you’re not actually a lot more
    smartly-liked than you might be right now. You’re
    so intelligent. You understand therefore considerably with regards to this subject, produced me in my view consider
    it from so many varied angles. Its like women and men don’t seem to be involved except it is something to do with Woman gaga!
    Your personal stuffs excellent. All the time take
    care of it up!

Feel free to visit my blog post – Un Amour sans fin Télécharger

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something
    that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very
    broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang
    of it!

It’s truly a nice and useful piece of information. I’m happy that you simply shared this helpful info
    with us. Please stay us up to date like this. Thank
    you for sharing.

hey there and thank you for your information – I have definitely picked up something new
    from right here. I did however expertise a few technical points using this web site,
    since I experienced to reload the site a lot of times previous to I
    could get it to load correctly. I had been wondering if your
    hosting is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and
    can damage your quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords.

Well I’m adding this RSS to my email and can look out for a lot more of your respective
    intriguing content. Make sure you update this again very soon.

I’m not sure why but this web site is loading extremely slow for me.
    Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on
    my end? I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.

A large amount of traditional board games have become played
    online, as well as some people want the skill sets necessary to win. So what is happening inside the
    mind in the person who cheats. Because with their IQ in math and science, the c’s developed a terrific talent for card counting.

Take a look at my blog post :: colocation poptropica.com

Cool blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog shine.
    Please let me know where you got your theme. Kudos

Longchamp Pink Gold Tote Shop Longchamp2013 Longchamp Bags IKeie Nudo di protesta TSA:
    La prossima volta di più dalle persone sul Transportation Security
    Administration fr Un po ‘troppo frisky con l’ispezione e sogni di arresto sinusale prendere tutti i vestiti che non hanno nulla da nascondere.
    In questo modo, è assolutamente alcun dubbio Mi si nota che sei un cittadino lawabiding.
    Longchamp Le Pliage Tree Of Life White Paris Longchamp Hotel SoIiK Fairchild è cresciuto a, e il blog
    di Sabato sul controllo la sua casa d’infanzia si muoveva.
    Lei ha scritto: giorno in cui ho guidato al potere di Avsjen, ho scuoiato miei s basso e lungo termine il mio potere di vedere il risultato di Madre Natura
    mi ha fatto segmento rimase fino alla sua rbdighet e completo
    abbandono .. Small Longchamp Nordstrom Longchamp Outlet Paris Vallee 2013 Longchamp Bags bxUoQ Come la deposizione delle uova a sud di Beavis and Butt Head, re
    dei Simpson formula Hill TOK, una media di famiglie
    bianche in periferia, con un fumetto patriarca come la deglutizione e serve
    non lavori spazzatura. Io a differenza di Omero, tuttavia, non è così teso e represso la caduta snnen di Hank Hill a rubare la scena come Bobby guardò il controller.
    Orange Longchamp Nordstrom Sale Longchamp Tote2013 Longchamp Bags Outlet
    Store Online RHIUY Sono il fondatore e direttore Donna Keen e suo
    marito gestito dai lavoratori, il recupero della password (purosangue addestratore di corse di cavalli Dallas Keen)
    per costruire una nuova stalla riabilitazione Rachel
    Alexandra vorrebbe raccogliere abbastanza fondi attraverso l’asta di cavezza.
    Inoltre, un certo numero di donazioni in natura e in denaro sono suscettibili
    di fornire strumenti e attrezzature per l’impianto.. Where To Buy Longchamp Online
    Pre Order Longchamp Pink Gold ueoyF SmartSilk biancheria spa per animali
    e l’uomo! Gli accessori comprendono una serie di belle collane
    e orecchini di design unici gioielli durante SwedArt il Circolo Polare
    Artico in Svezia bracciali in pelle di talento renne a mano.

Altri prodotti includono orologi di lusso, gioielli eGard Speranza,
    giocattolo del bambino farcito cavallo Beanpatch Co.

Online Shop Für Longchamp Taschen Longchamp Purple Planetes UEiAC Tuttavia,
    l’azienda presenta lo stesso problema come GMCR con un P / E di oltre 100 investitori e trading off alte aspettative.
    Anche se la società è ancora perdere il gettito sarebbe solo prendere un po ‘di tempo per influenzare drasticamente il valore di questo stock.
    Longchamp Purple Handbag Longchamp Handbag Organizer 2013
    Longchamp Bags BszMe Io amo le nappe sul lato, penso che siano una grande aggiunta al contrasto di nero
    e giallo, e possono essere anche rimosso un aspetto
    diverso se lo si desidera. L’interno è beige, e come ho detto prima mi piacciono interni luminosi,
    perché trovo più facile per cercare articoli nel tuo carrello.
    Longchamp Shopping Bag Tote Purse Forum Longchamp Planetes IxVjg Pit Bull storie attacco venditore,
    perché i media salta su di loro. Se sei un amante di pozzi fossa o temete il pestaggio titolo gradi
    gradi e smette di mangiare pezzi..

Pliage Longchamp Pas Cher Solde Longchamp Sac enDKZ Si può camicette di progettazione per questo uso personale.
    Individuo o una società o FO premium cosmetici sono un marchio leader per
    la fornitura di beni affidabile .. Sac Longchamp 4×4 Sac
    Seau Longchamp ejnKG L marchi, tra cui Marlboro, Winston,
    Misty e Doral, e Dolci Swisher sigaretti uva aromatizzati.
    (Un paio di sigari d’epoca rimasto in loro
    film involucri a quanto pare non gustose, come apparivano sullo scaffale.)
    Alcuni di questi pacchetti può richiedere da pochi mesi a 30 anni per degradarsi.
    Chaussures Longchamp Sacs Longchamp Pliage KhUQT
    In primo luogo, si dovrebbe considerare se si vuole veramente fare acquisti online per le borse autentiche Gucci.

Se non si agisce sulla società internetmagazina, o acquista da un fornitore affidabile,
    si potrebbe scoprire che lo shopping online è un bel po
    ‘di rischio, soprattutto quando si sta per acquistare
    borse griffate.. Longchamp Pliable Pochette Longchamps DmyER Comprare un paio di stivali da cowboy
    Tony Lama piatta cercando. Sei già le scarpe più comode glissezles e come.
    Besace Longchamps Solde Longchamp Sac TPfLq E i quattro ragazzi nella foto?

Gage ha detto che non erano attori o modelli, ma
    i membri effettivi di un equipaggio dragaggio lavorando per cancellare acque
    locali di sedimenti tossici e altre muck. Nella foto, da destra
    a sinistra come stanno intorno Miltimore lavoratori Scott Anderson,
    Victor Ronquillo Scott McIvor e Ruben Ronquillo..

Besace Longchamp Homme Saint Francois De Longchamp yXPxv Cammello,
    grigio, beige rosa ostriche e crema in contrasto con forti sagome sottili ma suggestivi in ​​bianco e navy crea.
    Per ulteriori spensierata a cuore, khaki / olio d’oliva, tabacco e marrone melanzane sono un must.
    Longchamp Sac Cuir Longchamp Pas Chere IhYKd 13 Aggiungi Più verde
    per il vostro giardino Non sai cosa comprare amante giardino?

Qualcosa da mettere in movimento! Non solo è lo shopping online modo ecologico per fare acquisti (nessun deposito non significa
    meno consumo di energia), ma quando si tratta di piante, significa anche che hai bisogno di sporcarsi le mani.
    Spedire direttamente al vostro amante giardino. Longchamp Paris Le Pliage Longchamp LSvYF Questo negozio ha
    una grande selezione di abiti vintage per uomini e donne, il che rende assolutamente no stop di shopping OMP viaggio per il quartiere.
    EH negozio suddiviso in stanza a stanza da pranzo al piano superiore
    ’80 epoca anni ’90 e grande posteriore è composta da anziani, tracce rare (e
    più costoso) 50tallet 70tallet..

you’re in reality a just right webmaster. The site loading pace is incredible.
    It sort of feels that you’re doing any distinctive trick.
    Also, The contents are masterwork. you’ve performed a fantastic job on this matter!

“There were a few people who thought it was lame
    that we did the vinyl versions of albums that were also released on major labels.
    Mia Farrow as Rosemary Woodhouse in Rosemary’s Baby.
    However, the handset user can go for the very best contract offer and avail the required network services inside the contractual handsets without difficulty.

One of the ways when the game is able to keep the
    series’ fast pace alive is its level design and features.

” The core concept he reiterated throughout our time together is, “How we treat the other if we meet the other.
    Lucas – Arts released the single-player Star Wars Rogue Squadron II:
    Rogue Leader simulation game for that Game –
    Cube in North America.

Feel free to visit my weblog … sonic dash hack apk

An application is available on line at Maryland State Dental Association. Medical and dental
    professionals do agree that the leaving of a gap in the
    mouth is not a good idea as this can such changes in the bone and tooth structure in the mouth causing crowding of remaining teeth and other structural changes in the mouth.
    An artificial tooth such as a crown, bridge, or dentures, is attached to the
    dental implants for a secure and permanent fit.

Hopefully, these results are so difficult to keep your cholesterol levels.
    I know quite a time. Willpower healthy diet pills that work fast for women is one word: mindset.
    It is best to start using immediately to get your target weight, you
    will find that knowing when to drink plenty of water.
    While it is available to be maintained over. You want to examine liquid cleanses, instead of trying healthy diet pills that work fast for women to squeeze
    exercise into to your diet.

My “personal” model ran less than $70 and my older unit ran about
    $250 at the time, but has come down in price over the years and is around $200-$220 range now.

Other fonts may be substituted if they are not embedded in a PDF.
    ^ “ISO 32000-1:2008 – Document management – Portable document format – Part 1: PDF 1.

You can be sure that your dental needs are going to be cared for effectively.
    Sites such as You – Tube and PHP Motion have proven that Internet surfers
    love videos. As these cosmetic dentistry procedures
    can have major ramification on the appearance
    of individuals, people are not willing to allow themselves
    to be an experiment for inexperienced dentists.

You can also use the Wonder Hanger for belts, ties and other accessories.
    With the success which was quite inevitable, of the creative live, Pharell Williams has collaborated with Bapes clothing company.
    Some of the slogans are Lucky Fcuk, Get a
    Good Fcuk, Fcuk Fashion and so on.

Trackbacks